Photovoltaic and Solar Energy information in Cyprus and the region. EnergyNewsCyprus.com brings you information about Photovoltaic and Solar Energy news and latest issues in the Photovoltaic and Solar Energy sector in Cyprus.
Search for Photovoltaic Energy Suppliers in Cyprus: SEARCH HERE
The sun provides a source of energy to the earth in the form of solar radiation. We can use this solar energy source to not only generate electricity but to also heat a water supply. The most common equipment is Solar Water Panels to heat hot water, (nearly every home in Cyprus has one of these), or Photovoltaic Panels (or PV’s). Experts can advise you on the best options, Solar energy is by far the most widely used natural energy source among homeowners in Cyprus.
Solar Energy Advantages:
- Solar panels give off no pollution, the only pollution produced as a result of solar panels is the manufacturing of these devices in factories, transportation of the goods, and installation.
- The production of energy from the use of fossil and some renewable fuels (e.g. wind turbines) can be noisy, yet solar energy produces electricity very quietly.
- One of the great pros of solar energy is the ability to harness electricity in remote locations that are not linked to a national grid. A prime example of this is in space, where satellites are powered by high efficiency solar cells.
- The installation of solar panels in remote locations is usually much more cost effective than laying the required high voltage wires.
- Solar energy can be very efficient in a large area of Cyprus, and new technologies allow for a more efficient energy production on overcast/dull days.
- Solar panels can be installed on top of many rooftops, which eliminates the problem of finding the required space for solar panel placement.
- Another great pro of solar energy is the cost. Although the initial investment of solar cells may be high, once installed, they provide a free source of electricity, which will pay off over the coming years.
- The use of solar energy to produce electricity allows the user to become less dependent on the worlds fossil fuel supplies.
Solar Energy Disadvantages:
- The major disadvantage of solar energy is the initial cost of solar photovoltaic cells. Currently, prices of highly efficient solar cells can be high and some households may need more than one. This makes the initial installation of solar panels costly.
- Solar energy is only able to generate electricity during daylight hours. This means for around half of each day, solar panels are not producing energy for your home.
- The weather can affect the efficiency of solar cells.